Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tiffin Tales 98

Hola..

Subho Noboborsho or Happy Bengali New Year..

It was celebrated yesterday by all the Bengali's all over the globe. This day is also know as 'Poila Baisakh' of the first day of the month Baisaikh. A new calendar year starts on this day and we seek blessings from the Almighty and the elders of the family.

I learnt a bit from my grandmother and she told us this. One day Emperor Akbar called his astronomer Fatullah Shrazi to create a combinative calendar between Lunar Islamic calendar and Solar Hindu Calendar. So he came up with a name 'Fasal I shann.  which means a year of good harvests. Gradually people started to adopt this thinking it will bring them a year full of good harvests and prosperity. Over the years this day gained more popularity and the Bengali calendar year bulged up.

This day the shopkeepers close all their previous credit accounts and start new registers. Goddess Ganesh and Lakshmi are worshipped and Bengali's feast on various delicacies. I have very fond memories of my growing years growing up amidst the festivities. New calendar neatly rolled with the help of a rubber band would be given to all the store customers. I remember me and my brother would wait for those calendars to check who had the better images and could hang that in front of our study table. I still have a calendar in my house even we use the phone to make appointments or check the dates.

I still follow the small rituals on the day even though nothing elaborate . I worship, make a good meal and call my family and relatives to seek their blessings. They cannot touch my head to bless me but their exciting voices are enough to comfort me that their love and blessings are always with me.

This morning My S wasn't interested in taking lunch. He wanted salad. So I made him a simple chicken salad with a simple dressing. I packed it cautiously so that the dressing doesn't mess up his lunch box. The snack box had a banana and a few strawberries and yoghurt..

Enjoy the day and most importantly enjoy the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment