Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Tiffin Tales 13

Hola.......

Its a partly sunny partly cloudy day. This morning i opened my freezer to get something and realized that there is still a tub of ice cream lying. With the weather changing everyday i have some how forgotten about it. I am scared that even a spoonful of ice cream will lead to infinite days of cold and coughing. I am so petrified of those nights spent coughing that my tub of ice cream is nearing its expiration date.

Many many moons when i was little but my love for ice creams was not so little. I used to madly love ice creams and even a glance of a ice cream used to make go weak in my knees. I came from a family of limited resources and the place where i grew up was a small town too. Having an ice cream was a big treat for us and we used to get them on special occasions only. The flavors were limited too mainly orange, chocolate and vanilla. I remember just in front of our school there were vendors selling ice cream mainly the ones in cone or in the more famously known these days as popsicles. Popsicles were popular with the students mainly because it was priced low compared to the cone ones. On certain days i used to get ice creams from my mother but for major other days i never looked at them.

Years later when the market was flooded with different flavors and the concept of payment as per scoop came in my love for ice creams changed too. It was perhaps it was more readily available in the grocery stores. People started introducing ice creams at the very celebrations from birthday to marriages as dessert. There were more flavors but less joy with every cone.

Add a few more years still ice cream is equally enjoyed by young and adults. Ice cream parlors are very popular and movies and ice cream or walk after dinner followed by ice cream are the best possible combinations. The flavors have diversified but somewhere i miss the child in me who used to long for a small popsicle with her saved pocket money. That child is a mother now who puts her the health of her family first. But i still enjoy looking at my S enjoying his ice cream without any thoughts or apprehensions. Perhaps this childhood and innocence.

This morning for S lunchbox i made his all time favorite soya chunks rice with vegetables. The snack box had fruits and a homemade blueberry muffin.

Let me know any memories of your childhood ice cream love.

No comments:

Post a Comment